The intruder, who “meticulously” dismantles security alarms, was snapped by an internal camera as he struck at an exclusive house just yards from the All England Wimbledon tennis club.
Scotland Yard today released the image of the burglar and revealed that he is wanted for at least 35 similar break-ins at wealthy homes in Wimbledon Village.
Detectives say the suspect can spend several days plotting his break-ins and carefully cuts CCTV cables and alarms so that he climb into houses without detection or being spotted on camera.
Often the owners of properties are unaware that they have been burgled. The man, described as white and in his 30s or 40s, steals jewellery and cash and targets safes.
The first incident dates back to 2006 and the new image released by the Met today shows the man during a burglary on a home in Bathgate Road, Wimbledon on March 29 this year when he got away with a quantity of cash and jewellery.
He is known to target wealthy homes and some larger properties in Bathgate Road can fetch nearly £10 million.
Detective Constable Simon Callcott, of Merton CID, said: “He can spend several days plotting a route into a house and cuts CCTV cables around the houses so he is not seen.
“He is very meticulous, very thorough and very tidy.
“He sometimes steals relatively small amounts of cash which people might not notice has gone missing. Sometimes people do not know he has been there.”
The suspect uses ladders to scale fences into properties and is also known to climb the exterior of homes to break in through upstairs windows.
Detectives say one possible clue is that he may drive a dark Vauxhall Astra or Corsa which was spotted near-by one burglary last year.
The intruder wears a track suit, gloves and a hat and, so far, has left few if any clues behind him.
He has been known to remove small safes from houses during break-ins.
Police also released two images of the suspect caught on CTV outside a house in Arthur Road, Wimbledon during an attempted burglary in January last year.
Detective Supt Dave Palmer of Merton Police said: “This latest picture is being released as it provides a much clear image of the suspect and we hope that someone will come forward and provide information that will allow police to prosecute this offender and prevent any further residents becoming victims to his criminal activity.”
The latest Met figures show the number of break-ins in London is down overall by around five per cent, though some boroughs show significant increases.
In Richmond burglary is up by 26 per cent and in Sutton the number of break-ins is rising at 18 per cent. In Merton burglary rates are falling by eight per cent.